How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a moment every Bloomington, IN winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to identify your Bloomington, IN home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the normal windows with operable capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the functional portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Test the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is installed.
- Call a specialist from McComb Window & Door in Bloomington, IN to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Bloomington, IN a call at 812-333-6371 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.