How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a moment every Bloomington, IN winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Bloomington, IN home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in unusual locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the normal windows with operable abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket around the functional portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from McComb Window & Door in Bloomington, IN to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Bloomington, IN a call at 812-333-6371 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.