Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Bloomington, IN, IN?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Bloomington, IN and you can still find time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Make sure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can impact the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can be harsh on exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient products.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Bloomington, IN at 812-333-6371.